what is Article? and it divided into how many parts?
“A, An, the” are the words called articles.
I eat an orange.
She is a girl.
The cat loves comfort.
Note: Articles are divided into two parts.
- Indefinite Articles.
- Definite Articles.
Def: In English Grammar, there are two Indefinite Articles which are…
“A and an”
- A is used for words beginning with a consonant.
Example: A book, a pan, a rubber, a bag, a ruler, a duster, etc…
- An is used for words beginning with a vowel.
Example: An umbrella, an orange, an apple, an iron, an elephant, etc…
- Some native speakers use “an” before words beginning with H if the first syllable is not stressed.
Example: An hotel- a hotel, an historical novel- a historical novel, an university- a university.
- In its original numerical sense of one.
Example: Not a word was said.
A word to the wise is sufficient.
- In a vague sense of certainty.
Example: One morning a man came to my home.
A Brak Obama is retired for his country.
- In the sense of any to single out an individual as the representative.
Example: A cow is a useful animal.
A pupil should lessen his teacher.
- To make a common noun of a proper noun.
Example: A Damon comes to school.
A loin eats all animals.
2. Definite Article:
There is one definite article exist in English Grammar which is
Usages of Article “The”
- It is used before things or group of things.
Example: The book you bought is useful.
Let us enjoy the picnic.
- It is used before common nouns.
Example: They are the student who got the 1st position.
The horse is a noble animal.
- It is used before ordinal numbers.
Example: The fifth class.
The sixth class.
- It is used before the superlative form of an adjective.
Example: Ali is the tallest boy in our class.
Sarah is the happiest girl of her family.
- Before some proper names.
Example: The Pacific ocean,
The Sahara deserts
- Before names of things unique of their kind.
Example: The sky, the sun, the moon, the ocean, the earth, the sea.
- Before musical instruments.
Example: He can play the music.
- As an adverb with Comparative form.
Example: The more they get, the more they want.
Harry writes the best in the class.
The omission of the Article:
- Before names of substances and abstract noun (uncountable noun) used in general sense
Example: Honesty is the best policy.
Gold is a precious metal.
2. Before plural countable nouns used in a general sense.
Example: Children like chocolates.
Laptops are used in many countries.
3. Before names of meals (used in a general sense)
Example: Breakfast is ready.
Dinner is ready.
4. Before languages.
Example: I am studying English.
They speak Sindhi in class.
5. Before school, college, university, church, bed, hospital, prison.
Example: My mother is in hospital.
She learned English at school.