As you have the idea MacOS Catalina 10.15 is the latest version of Mac and this Mac Operating System is the best with having cool features that are handy and easy to use. However, if you want to install MacOS Catalina Beta on Virtualization software or on your physical system then follow the below links. Moreover, in this article, you will learn How to Install MacOS Catalina Beta on APFS Volume to Dual Boot with Mojave. So, if you want to run MacOS Catalina alongside with MacOS Mojave then you can do it by adding a new APFS volume to the Mac. Well, it means that you can install two operating systems on your Mac and dual boot them, that means both MacOS is available and you can select the one that you want to work with.
Therefore, in this article, I will guide you step by step with a good explanation in order to provide the best article to you. So, read this article top to toe and if you get any confusion then feel free to contact me.
- How to install MacOS Catalina on Vmware on Windows
- Install MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox on Windows
- How to install MacOS Catalina Public Beta
- How to install MacOS Catalina on Macbook Pro and Air
Why Dual-Boot MacOS
Good question why we need to Dual-Boot MacOS? However, there are several reasons why a Mac user wants to run two Operating systems or two versions of Mac. below are the reasons to dual-boot MacOS.
- The first reason is if a user wants to update their Mac to the latest software, but they have a legacy of apps that are not working then to create a dual-boot is the best way to run those apps. Read More: How to Uninstall Application in MacOS Catalina
- If you have a Mac software developer and you want to run your own apps on various versions.
- If you want to try MacOS Beta version without committing to it then the best way is to dual-boot your Mac.
Some Important things before you start
- Make Some Space: if you want to give shape to your Mac and you want to run two versions of the Mac operating system then you will need space. Delete or uninstall all the apps that you don’t need and remove the files and folder which are not needed anymore.
- Back-Up: The most important thing before doing anything to your Mac is to have a backup of your Mac, in this case, you will not lose your data. Therefore, make sure you have created a backup of your all files and data.
- Be prepared to wipe everything: If you are in an older version of macOS or even Mac OS X, when you partition your Mac you will have to completely wipe it! If you want to keep your current work, you need to create a backup of your Mac and ensure it will fit on your smaller partitioned drive.
How to Install MacOS Catalina Beta on APFS Volume to Dual Boot with Mojave
This step will create dual-boot and allow you to switch between MacOS Catalina to MacOS Mojave or MacOS High Sierra.
- Open Disk Utility and create a new APFS volume by clicking on the ‘+’ button.
- Now give Name to the new APFS volume something like macOS Catalina then click Add button.
- The last step, click Done and quit Disk Utility.
- Now, open the Install MacOS Catalina Beta and you can find it in the Applications folders. afterward, click Continue then read and agree to the terms and service.
- Click on the Show All Disk.
- At the disk selection screen, choose the alternate Catalina APFS Volume you created earlier as the target disk, then click on Install to install MacOS Catalina Beta onto that volume.
- Wait for a while to complete the installation process and the Mac will reboot and the process will take a while.
When the installation gets completed then the computer will reboot for the final time, after that, the computer will start directly into MacOS Catalina.
Switch Booting of MacOS Catalina or MacOS Mojave / High Sierra
You can switch between macOS Catalina to MacOS Mojave / High Sierra by doing these two methods.
Switching Boot macOS Versions on System Start
The First method to switch between MacOS Catalina to Mojave and High Sierra is very handy and easy. Therefore, restart or boot the Mac and immediately hold down the Option key. then, at the boot selection choose the MacOS Volume you wish to boot from.
Switching Boot macOS Version via System Preferences
Pull down the Apple menu and go to System Preferences and then go to Startup Disk and choose the volume / OS to boot from.
That’s all about How to Install MacOS Catalina Beta on APFS Volume to Dual Boot with Mojave. SO, in this article, we have explained each and everything clearly. therefore, read the article and if you get any kind of question then feel free to ask me in the comment box.