How to Install MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox on Windows?
Legions of people are looking on How to Install MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox on Windows, as you know MacOS Catalina is the latest version of the MacOS Operating System which is released a few days ago and they called it MacOS Catalina 10.15. Well, Apple has worked a lot and brought too many awesome changes and they developed and added the handiest and interesting features in the MacOS Catalina 10.15 OS. However, this new and latest MacOS has announced by WWDC on the world developers conference 2019. Moreover, Apple is working a lot on its every operating system and they focus a lot on security performance to not be hacked.
So, before going to install and test any operating system on your original operating system, I prefer you to go ahead with any virtualization software. However, you know we have the best platforms such as Virtualbox, VMware, Hyper-V, Boot Camp and Sandbox new application of windows 10. So you can install Windows, Linux, MacOS on the virtual machine, However, installing a different OS on a virtual machine can be great user experience. Therefore, in this article, I will guide you on how to install mac os Catalina on Virtualbox on windows.
- How to install MacOS Mojave on Virtualbox on Windows
- Install MacOS Mojave on VMware on Windows
- How to install MacOS High Sierra on Virtualbox on Windows
Step 1. Needed Files
- Virtualbox: As you know, in this article, we are going to install MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox using windows. therefore, before going to install MacOS Catalina you have to download and install Virtualbox on your PC. If you don’t know how to download and install Virtualbox then don’t worry here I will show you how you can do it.
- Virtualbox Extension Pack: While you installed Virtualbox on your PC then after that, you need to install a Virtualbox extension pack because without installing an extension pack you will face the error of mouse and keyboard which will not work on MacOS during installing MacOS Operating system after MacOS High Sierra. therefore Virtualbox extension pack provides you a set of tools to resolve the mouse and keyboard error. So, install Virtualbox Extension Pack and enjoy the installation of MacOS Catalina.
- WinRAR: To decompress any files you will need to install WinRAR on your PC, as you know this is a free and open-source software where it can be used for compressing and opening special extension .zip .rar and more. Well, if you used this software before then you know it is free and it is used to decompress and compress files. However, the main goal to use WinRAR is to extract the MacOS Catalina 10.15 images files which are compressed in the RAR file.
- MacOS Catalina 10.15 Virtual Image (VMDK File): To install any operating system on virtualization software you will need to download its Virtual image file (VMDK File). Therefore, here you have to download MacOS Catalina 10.15 VMDK file and for that, you need a fast internet connection because the MacOS Catalina file is too large. Moreover, I should tell you that download the HFS image file because Virtualbox can support the HFS file but it won’t support the APFS file, therefore, don’t try to download the APFS file. and the big reason to mentioned for you to use the HFS version is that you can easily update to the latest version of MacOS.
- While downloading MacOS Catalina from Google Drive server then you will face Google Drive Download limit quota exceeded error, therefore, you have to fix Google Drive Download Limit to complete the downloading.
Extract MacOS Catalina File
Once you download any of the MacOS Catalina installer files then you need to extract it Via WinRAR or 7ZIP because the file is compressed and it needs to be extracted. I recommend you download and install WinRAR and the download link is given above.
So, go to download folder and find your downloaded file, afterward, right-click on the file and click the Extract option.
Step 2. Installation of Virtualbox on PC
As I told you to install MacOS Catalina 10.15 on Virtualbox, you will need to download and install Virtualbox on your system. Therefore, go to Virtualbox Official website and download the latest version of Virtualbox and install it on your PC. However, the installation is quite easy if you don’t know then follow the below steps.
- When the downloading is done then Double Click on the setup wizard.
- After that, click the Next button three times.
- Then it will warn you for the network Therefore ignore it by clicking the Yes button.
- Now you will see the install window option, So click on the Install button.
- Wait for a while to complete the installation, while the installation is completed then click on Finish button.
Step 3. Install Virtualbox Extension Pack
You will face the error of mouse and keyboard not working during the installation of MacOS Catalina because you have not installed a Virtualbox extension pack. therefore, to avoid such error you need to download and install Virtualbox Extension Pack. So, to download and install the Virtualbox extension pack follows the below link.
Step 4. Create MacOS Catalina Virtual Machine
#1. While you download the MacOS Catalina 10.15 Image file then you will need to extract the file, for that, you should have WinRAR or 7Zip software to decompress the file. if you don’t have then download it from its own official website and install it on your PC. However, the actual size of MacOS Catalina is 8GB after extracting it then it will become 6GB.
#2. Open Virtualbox and click on New in order to create a new Virtual machine for MacOS Catalina 10.15.
#3. Now give a proper name for Operating System as I give MacOS Catalina 10.15, While you select the name then the Type and version will be selected automatically.
#4. Here, select the memory size for MacOS Catalina as the recommended size is 2048MB. but you can increase the memory size.
#5. Now select the last option “Use an existing Virtual Hard Disk File” afterward, click on the small folder icon and find the MacOS Catalina VMDK file that you downloaded before. So, when the file is selected then click on Insert option.
Step 5. Edition of MacOS Catalina 10.15 Settings
That’s not finished yet, the created Virtual Machine needs customization to have better performance. So, you will need to customize MacOS Catalina settings, therefore, Select the newly created Virtual machine from the left side of the window and click on the Setting option.
#1. Now go to System Menu -> Motherboard and uncheck floppy disk from Boot order.
#2. Afterward, Select the Processor and increase the CPU amount.
#3. After that, navigate to Display tab -> Screen and increase the video memory from 1 to 128MB.
#4. In the last step, go to USB and enable USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller and click on Ok Button.
Step 6. Insert the Codes to CMD
Before progressing to add the codes into prompt close VirtualBox. After that, you closed the VirtualBox and Run CMD As Administrator. Therefore, the codes that belong to VirtualBox it’ll solve the errors of macOS Catalina. for instance, it’ll fix one in every of the foremost common error that is -Cpuidset, this codes may be a simple product of Apple company. that permits the users whereas putting in macOS operative on VirtualBox. it’ll reject the errors of macOS in VirtualBox.
Now copy the below code and replace “Your VM Name” with the name you created a virtual machine,
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Your VM Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
So, Now copy the code and paste it one by one inside the CMD and hit the enter button. remember, copy and paste the code attentively otherwise you will face error during the installation.
Note: When you run the above codes then remember if you are using a Ryzen or AMD processor then run the below extra codes on Command Prompt.
*AMD ONLY* VBoxManage modifyvm "OSX" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K" VBoxManage setextradata "OSX" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1080
Step 7. Install MacOS Catalina 10.15 on Virtualbox on Windows
Ok, now you are done with all steps and MacOS Catalina is ready to install. Therefore, launch Virtualbox and install MacOS Catalina 10.15 on Virtualbox on windows. While you start the installation then follow the below steps.
#1: Launch Virtualbox and select the created VM from the left side of the window and click on the Start option.
#2: Once you run MacOS Catalina then here press ESC button before 4 seconds and type install.nsh / boot.nsh and press Enter.
If you stuck here then follow the below steps.
Some users stuck on this step and they can’t move on to the Apple logo, So, some users recommended that those who stuck on this step should follow the below method to move on.
- Once you tap the Esc key then you will see the Shell>
- Now, you need to mount the fs1 drive by typing ‘fs1’ without quotation and hit enter. This command will mount the drive.
- Afterward, type ‘ls’ for a directory listing. Take heed, you should see a folder called ‘MacOS Install Data’.
- Then cd into that folder: ‘cd macOS Install Data’
- cd Locked Files
- cd Boot Files
- Finally, type boot.efi to launch the boot sequence.
- After that, you will be in the welcome window So, here select your language and continue.
- Select the keyboard layout and continue.
- Now choose don’t transfer any information to this Mac and click on Continue.
- Here, it will ask you to login with your Apple ID but I prefer you to go without Apple ID account. Therefore, click the Set up Later.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click continue.
- Now, create a new computer account, Therefore, type a Full Name, Computer Name, Password, Confirm Password, and give Password Hint. then click Continue.
- Continue with Express setup of macOS Catalina 10.15
- Then, you will see Screen-Time, therefore, click Set up Later and continue.
- Now, choose a look between a light mode, dark mode, and Auto Mode (Auto Mode is the new feature of MacOS and Apple included this feature on MacOS Catalina) and click continue.
- Here you have done with the installation of MacOS Catalina 10.15 Therefore, now enjoy the new and latest version of MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox.
- How to Use Console MacOS to Check Log and Activities
- How to Reset Forgotten Password of MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox
- Perform a Clean Installation of MacOS Mojave
- The Best New Features of MacOS Mojave
In this article, you learn all about How to install MacOS Catalina on Virtualbox on windows. Moreover, here I provided you all the information with a complete guide and I hope you get all of them and you like the article. Besides that, if you get any kind of confusion or question then feel free to ask me in the comment and don’t forget to give your feedback and subscribe to our blog for more updates.